Mobiles are one of the most versatile electronics in the present scenario. It constantly keeps us connected with our near ones even when we are travelling out of our city or to another country. It reduces our tension and gives us feel as we are in home. The biggest advantage of mobile phones is they keep you connected. The developer tries to use this advantage in educational institution such as a college to bring down the interaction gap between management, teachers and students.
1.1 Topic: – Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System
1.2 Purpose of the situation
Everyone in this world wants to do the work at their fingertips. Mobile is best suitable solution to the problem. It minimizes our burdens (example reminder helps us from remembering all the birthdays, meeting etc). It also gives easier access to the internet anytime, anywhere. There is no doughty that our mobile has made our life a lot convenient. One can interact with anyone, anytime from anywhere through mobile. However there are limitations to it. What if a student wants to consult with a teacher for clearing dough about any topic when he is out for an interview? Generally teachers do not give their cell number to all students. What if a student wants to reserve a book from his college library when he is in the way to college? There may be a situation when college wants to inform all students about urgent information, but some of the student might not be present in the college. Suppose a student is in railway station and wants to confirm about the examination timetable for reserving railway seat to his home in the vacations. How can he confirm that?
Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System (SCSMS) is a solution to make our life further one more step simpler and increase the services provided by the mobile to the next level. It is being developed mainly for an educational institute such as colleges. The main aim of the system is to reduce the communication gape between student, faculty and management. The Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is a mobile application which can be used from anywhere. Through Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System we can fix consultation, get news and lattés updates, reserve library books, check library lone, download e-book from library etc. The student will be able to do lots of thing which they could not do if they were not in college so the application will increase the freedom of the student.
1.3 Target Reader
As the application will be for educational institution like colleges the targeted reader will be:-
Students: – Students will be the most targeted user as they will be the most frequent user. The system is being designed keeping this thing in mind. Most of the features of the application revolve around the student.
Teachers: – Teachers will be seconde most frequent user. They will use the system mainly to assist the students. They will also use the system to deliver important information and news to the student.
Management: The complete system will be maintained by the management. They will be the system administrator. It will be the job of management to create, delete and manage accounts. Moreover management can also send news to the students.
1.4 Topic Background
In today’s scenario the whole world is sifting to the mobile application. It is known third wave in computer evolution series. With over 3 billion mobile users today, mobile devices have become the most ubiquitous communications medium in the hands of the consumers . Mobile application developmentis quite an active arena today, much due to the popularity and increasing demand of mobile phones. Its growing popularity from several years is making the users more and more enthusiastic . Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is a system which make work easy and more interactive, it is the solution provider and making task simple and easier.
1.5 Problem Context
Any information is information if it is timely; else, it is of no use. It really becomes a thing to be concerned about when there is a communication gap in any institution. As we all know, today’s era is of Ubiquitous Computing; anytime anywhere. So the system could be used from anywhere and anytime. The present system which is being used by the college is a web based system. To us the system we need a computer or a laptop. So it restrict us as, it is very tough to find a computer with internet working on it, every time we need to use the system. At that particular moment of time the current system is of no use of we are not able to get an internet connected computer or laptop. Due to this limitation we are not able to remain connected with the institution (college). Even if we open it through the mobile browser it is extremely tough for us to navigate the website which is made for high resolution computer or laptop screen in the limited size display of a mobile.
Apart from this we require many more functionality which is not present in the present working system. Suppose a notice comes for any student in his class. But he was not in the class. There is no option it the present system to inform such student automatically. We need to manually call or send SMS to inform him or tell the student’s friend to inform him. As a result many time the information even do not rich the concerned student at time. Hence lot of effort is required, lot of time is wasted and productivity decreases. Loot of work is done manually. So accuracy is also decreased.
The system is being made in order to provide solution to lots of problem faced by the college. It will improve the information process of the college. Let us take a real life example of our college.
“The students were at home after completing their even semester. The college was reopening at the end of July. However the last date for depositing semester fee was near about 15th of July. Students were not aware about last date of fee deposition, as a result 90% of the student was fined for late fee submission.”
Had the SCSMS been implemented this ambiguity could had been solved just by informing the entire student by sending a message two to three weeks before the last date.
There are many tangible and intangible advantages which we can get from the proposed system.
Tangible benefits: –
- The first and the foremost advantage of the proposed system is that it reduces the communication gap between students, teachers and management.
- To fix a consultation we do not need to go to the teacher and roam here and there to searching teacher if teacher is not present in his/her office. This could be done just by pressing few buttons on the mobile.
- Important information could be delivered to the concerned people at time so that no ambiguity can arise.
- It will make the work smoother were work could be done just by pressing few buttons. So the system would reduce so much of stress from user head.
- It will make things lot simpler and reduce human effort. Anyone who wants to use the system can use it easily on his/her mobile, as the system is dedicatedly made for the mobile.
- As there will not be communication gap so productivity will automatically increase.
Intangible benefits: –
- It will provide security to the user. If we log on to the present used system (which is a web based application) through other’s computer or laptop, our account may get hacked as there may be spyware like password catcher installed in it.
- It will save wastage of money, as student does not need to move to cyber cafe to use the system.
- SCSMS will reduce the wastage of time in searching cyber café.
- It will increase the knowledge of the student. The discussion forum will help to increase the knowledge of the student.
- It will make the student comfortable in technical round of the placement process. The student can take test of technical round to practice through the proposed system.
- It will remove the biased process in any polling. As through the proposed system will do it automatically.
1.7 Objectives of System
Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is an automated mobile application. The system communicates with the user and provides the complete information as the user in intended to view. It will reduce the communication gap between student and teachers and management. The application is being developed so that the user does not need to move to any new place to do the work. The main objectives of the system are: –
- The proposed system will reduces communication gap between management, teachers and students. The various features such as news alert, messaging system, and m-consultation will reduce the communication gap.
- The application will provide ‘ease to express to mass of students’ with messaging service. So the information can easily wide spread to a bulk of student keeping them updated about what is going on in the college.
- Save time: The proposed system will enable student to fix consultation through their mobile. The student can also reserve book from their college library through the proposed system from anywhere around without going to the library there by reduces wastage of time.
- Increased productivity: As the proposed system will reduce the communication gap among management, teacher, student and keeps them updated so that everyone will be able to perform on the latest scenario, optimizing the productivity.
- Save wastage of money: As the present system, which is being used by the college is a web based system. So the students have to search a cyber café each time they want to access some information. However the proposed system adds a solution to it, as it is a mobile application it can be accessed from any ware through our mobile.
- Reduces human effort: The proposed system will reduce human effort in many ways. The student will not have to go to the teacher to fix consultation. The student will not need to go to library to reserve a book. They can do this just by pressing few buttons of their mobile.
- Ends ambiguity: The proposed system has feature to communicate information to the masses. So the student will be updated with the latest news giving no place to ambiguity to arise.
- Increase Freedom: According to Bill Gates “I’m a great believer that any tool that enhances communication has profound effects in terms of how people can learn from each other, and how they can achieve the kind of freedoms that they’re interested in”. The proposed system will reduce the restriction from the students and increase their freedom.
- Improve accuracy: The proposed system is an automatic system hence it will reduce the accuracy removing the silly mistakes made by human.
1.8 Functionality of System
The functionality of the system is divided into three different categories: core functionality, enhanced functionality and special functionality.
Automatically fix consultation if the teacher and student both are ready and this time is not allocated to any other student: – First of all the student requests for consultation to the specific teacher. The message is automatically send to the teacher with suggested time when teacher is not having any class or other meeting. However the teacher can change the time according to his/her wish. Now this time is set as consultation hour and message is sent to both teacher and student about it.
View attendance summary: – The student can see the attendance summery from anywhere anytime.
View result of exams: – As soon as the result is declared a message is forwarded to the student informing him about the result. Now the student can view the result if he/she wishes.
Check library lone, fine: – Student can check name of the book that he borrowed from library. He can also find if there is any fine on him.
Class time table and Exam time table: – whenever the class timetable will be changed the new timetable will be forwarded to the entire student. Student can also view exam timetable whenever declared.
News alert: the student can get the latest news in their cell.
- Get attendance alert:- The student will get attendance alert whenever he will cross the boundary line of attendance such as 3, 6, 9.
- Reserve a book: – the student will be able to reserve the library book right from his home sleeping in his bed.
- Download books: – the student can download the e-book and read anywhere he wants.
- Quick Polling: – It will be used to quick poll and find the eligible candidate for any post such as class representative.
- Discussion Forum: – the students can discus over any topic in the discussion forum.
- Student can have e- consultation via chatting: – the student can have e-consultation by chatting to work out small problems.
- Aptitude and technical test: – student can take test to maser themselves where they stand. It will contain mainly multiple choice questions.
- Download the application through Bluetooth: – any intended student can download the proposed application by moving to a particular place and download the application to his mobile.
Scope and deliverables:
Identification of the scope of the project should be done before developing the system. This allows the developer to know the boundary of the system. So that all the issues related to success of the project can be cleared. It is a fact that no system can be perfect or with no limitation. SCSMS also has some boundaries which add a slate limitation to its scope. Detailed scope of the project has been mentioned below:
Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is meant to solve large variety of problems faced. It will reduce the communication gap, reduces time wasting, and reduces human effort and increases performance and accuracy. However there is little limitation to it as well.
Limitations of the scope:
– It will need GPRS facility to work. So by any reason the internet do not work the system will not work.
– It will run only in java supporting mobiles. Although most of the popular like Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, Apple iPhone etc. are J2ME enabled but there are some exception like older versions of Blackberry.
– As the system works on client server architecture, so if the server goes down the entire system will clash.
– It will be used parallel with a website where functionality which requires lot of things to be displayed can be preformed such as marking system.
“Our problems are man-made; therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings”.
– John F. Kennedy
2.1 Problem Description & Proposed Solution
The primary aim of the proposed system is to reduce the communication gap between management, teachers and student and act as a communication channel between them. In the present scenario lot of work is done manually. It requires lot of human effort, time so the end result is not satisfactory. Suppose a student wants to fix a consultation with a teacher. He reaches to the office of the teacher but the teacher was not there. The student stood by the door for 10 min and then went back. After half n hour the student again came but the teacher was not in his office. The student get annoyed went back to his home. So at the end, complete one hour was just a west. There are many more problems faced by the system which is listed below. Most of the problems present in the current system raised because the current system in a website. Many problems are faced as the current system does not have solution to all the features. These problems can be solved through developing a mobile application and increasing the functionality. Below is a list of problem along with the proposed solution:
Problem: To fix a consultation student need to go to the teacher then and get a time and need to come back for consultation on the date and time as fixed by teacher. So lots of time consuming, manual work has to be done.
Proposed Solution: Automatic consultation fixer has been proposed in the proposed system. In this module whenever a student will request teacher for consultation through his mobile, the request will be forwarded to the teacher. As soon as the teacher will approve the request a proposed time will be generated by going through the timetable of the student and teacher. The consultation will be fixed when teacher accept it.
Problem: As the consultation is fixed manually so the time of consultation may collide with other students’ time.
Proposed Solution: The time once allotted a student by Automatic consultation fixer will never be allotted to other student. So there is no chance that time gets collided.
Problem: If student or teacher wants to cancel the consultation then there is no way to inform other.
Proposed Solution: Automatic consultation fixer will have feature to cancel consultation. As soon as teacher or student cancels consultation, a message will be forwarded to other one.
Problem: Some student are of shy and feel uncomfortable in asking problems with teacher, so they will not be able to consult teacher regarding any problem.
Proposed Solution: Even the shy students can have consultation through the proposed system. There will be a feature for m-consultation where students can consult with teacher via chatting through mobile without paying any charge for SMS.
Problem: If a student in not in college then he cannot reserve a book from a library.
Proposed Solution: In the proposed system the application will have a feature of reserving a book form library from anywhere in this world through our mobile having GPRS connectivity.
Problem: The student cannot use library resources when they are not college.
Proposed Solution: In the proposed system the application will have a feature of downloading e-books form library through student’s mobile.
Problem: If a student is out of the college then there is no way to remain connected with the college for latest news updates such news of visit of any company for placement.
Proposed Solution: In the proposed system the application will have a feature of news alert where management or teacher can inform the latest news alert directly to the students mobile.
Problem: There is no way to view the class or examination timetable right from the students’ home.
Proposed Solution: Student can also view the class or examination timetable right from the students’ home through the proposed system.
Problem: The present system does not have any criteria to conduct polling for any post. Polling is done manually so the final output can be biased.
Proposed Solution: Polling has also been added to the system so the result produced by the pool is not biased and more and more student takes part in the poll.
Problem: As now a day the demand of aptitude test is at climax but the present system fails to deliver any such facility.
Proposed Solution: Keeping the demand of aptitude test and student’s need a module for aptitude test module has also been added.
3.1 Domain Research
3.1.1 Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System
3.1.2 Major components that should be present in smart consultation scheduler and mobile messaging system
3.2 Research on Similar System
3.3 Architecture of the System
3.1 Domain Research:
3.1.1 Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System
In the today’s world scenario everyone wish to perform work and task at their fingertip. And mobile is the device which allows them to fulfill their wish more effectively and efficiently. Mobile is the most usable device now days because of lots of benefits attached to it. Mobile is helpful in various ways, it give all the information, news ,events etc and make people aware of things to do and things to remember.
Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is a system which make work easy and more interactive, it is the solution provider and making task simple and easier.
This system is based on the college management automation system. The application developed is an automated application suite of Institute or college administration including student information, employee information, library, fees managing, student information, subject, time table, student attendance, marks, discipline, performance etc. It permits the user to retrieve, manipulate and present student data in a meaningful and user friendly manner, generating reports dynamically. Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System totally work like college automation system but it off with latest technology and of wider use.
This provides various facilities of college online. The main goal and aim of this system is to reduce communication gap between student, faculties and also management. The Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is an application to which you can use it from anywhere with your mobile. Through Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System we can fix consultation, get news and lattés updates, reserve library books, check library lone, download e-book from library etc.
Present systems is web based and this Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is mobile service which is more effective and fast and more beneficial.
3.1.2 Major components that should be present in smart consultation scheduler and mobile messaging system
As mobile is the most usable device all over the world now. Everyone wants to access everything on their mobile. Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is such an application which can be used anywhere from their mobile. This system include following components: –
- Attendance system for the students – The student can see the attendance summery from anywhere anytime.
- Result of the students- As soon as the result is declared a message is forwarded to the student informing him about the result. Now the student can view the result if he wishes.
- Online Library – Student can check name of the book that he borrowed from library. He can also find if there is any fine on him.
- Automating Consultation with the teacher (for students), head of the organization and among staff (for staffs)- Automatically fix consultation if the teacher and student both are ready and this time is not allocated to any other student .A student can also take consultation via mean of m chatting.
- Class time table and Exam time table. – Whenever the class timetable will be changed the new timetable will be forwarded to the entire student. Student can also view exam timetable whenever declared.
- News alert- There will be facility of sending news to all the students and also to the faculties.
- Online Polling- There is another feature of online polling, where student can poll about any event.
- Aptitude Test- Student can give aptitude test from their mobile and can improve their problem solving skill.
3.2 Research on Similar System
Research is a method or practice which direct toward the increase of knowledge, the major goal of research is to gain vast knowledge with the better understanding of the project under study.Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System is also a solution to make our life further one step simpler. It will be mainly for an educational institute such as colleges. The main aim of the system is to reduce the communication gap between student, faculty and management. The similar kind of system in today’s scenario are limiting and lacking in various features. Therefore to make “Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System” more efficient it is necessary to compare it with existing system.
Take an example of Webspace of APIIT SD INDIA. In this Webspace there are many functionalities still it lacking behind the “Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System”. In the current Webspace there is no option to take consultation hour with faculty online. And there is not a feature of aptitude test online polling. The present system does not have any criteria to conduct polling for any post and as now a day the demand of aptitude test is at climax but the present system fails to deliver any such facility. Or also not any feature of class and exam time schedule. In this way this similar system is far behind in functionalities as compared to the proposed system. And on the basis of above mentioned research it has been conclude that propose system have much better functionality and features than existing system.
on the basisof research which has been carried out above it has been clear that “Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System” is more effective, more functional and efficient as compared to the existing system. This system will make various tasks of college easier and will make them more interactive. It will save time get waste in taking consultation hour through mobile and it will give news about any event or about anything immediately. This system will be helpful and quite handful for the student and faculties.
3.3 Architecture of the System
Architecture of the “Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System” system is 3-Tier Client/Server Architecture.
3-tier application is organized into three major disjunctive tiers on layers.
Client Tier (made in J2ME)
Application Tier (made in J2EE)
Database Tier (MySQL)
Benefits of using 3-Tier architecture are mentioned below:
- Main benefit of 3-Tier architecture is that any other tier can be replaced without affecting the other tiers. For example if the developer finds any bug in calculating fine, only J2EE application page to calculate fine need to be changed without changing J2ME client application.
- Improved security as it is implemented at multiple levels. If we uses direct communication between the database and the mobile application. Database name, password can be extracted and then the hacker can do anything even can delete the database.
- Only valid data is allowed to be updated in the database and the risk of a scoundrel client application corrupting data is removed. As the database will be at the server and only authorized person will have the username and password to access it.
- Improved data integrity. As the database will be at the server so every user will use same database. Hence data integrity will be improved.
- It has improved scalability because the application servers can be deploying on many machines . Even the number of user will be increased the web application can be deployed on multiple server to support this large chunk of users.
“Research is to see what everybody else has seen,
and to think what nobody else has thought”
– Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
4.1 Primary Research
4.2 Secondary Research
4.3 Academic Research
4.4 Technical Research
4.4.1 Programming Environment Research
4.4.2 Database Research
4.5 SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE
4.1 Primary Research
Primary research involves gettingoriginal datadirectly from the user about the product or market . It is the initial research that is done during the development of a system. The primary objective of the primary research is to gather preliminary information which could support the designing of the application. So it is fundamental step, in order to continue with development of the application. Along with this, primary research is also used to gather user requirements on the system being developed and to estimate the feasibility of the proposed system. Primary research is done with the direct involvement of the targeted reader.
There are many techniques to carry out primary research such as Questionnaires, Interview, Brain Storming, Onsite observation, Pilot study, Focus Group etc. However the developer have used questionnaire to perform primary research.
It is a method of gathering information from a group of individuals using identical procedures for each person. Questionnaireis a data collection tool in which written questions are presented that are to be answered by the respondents in written form. The questionnaires are to be distributed to the student of a college who are using similar type of system. These students can suggest the good feature present in the system and the limitation in the present system which they are using.
Justification: The target readers are already using simpler type of system having few of the functionality as the proposed system have. So users are aware about it up to some extent and they know what they want and what they do not. The proposed system is made for large group of user. Questionnaire makes the work easy as it can be conducted on a group of individuals using identical procedure.
There are three types of questionnaire depending on type of user; Students, Teachers and administrator.
The developer is a Final Year Degree student from Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology who is currently doing a Final Year Project which entitled Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System. The main purpose of the system is to reduce the communication gap between management and teacher and student by reaching to their cell phones. The system will help the student and teacher to fix consultation automatically by suggesting a time when both of them are free through checking the timetable of student and teacher. With the help of this mobile application the student can reserve a book from library or check for fine, issued book on his account. Management can send the latest news or information about any meeting directly to the student’s cell. The student can check attendance summery, result, examination and class timetable through this system. Student can go for an aptitude or similar test having multiple options to verify their level. However these features can be moderated depending on your response. So your response is highly important for me.
As you are part of such institution and familiar with such system so you can help us in defining the structure or functionality of the system. These questionnaires will not take more than 5 minutes of your time. It is having objective type question where you need to check one or more option or write one/few words depending on the question.
The questionnaire does not contain any such emotional or personal question. However the information provided by you will not be disclosed to anyone. Even if the developer needs to be share, it will not be done without your permission.
Thank you a lot for participating. Please proceed further to the questionnaire section.
Questionnaires (for student)
1. Have you come across Smart Consultation Scheduler and Mobile Messaging System (SCSMS) or similar application?
[ ] Yes
[ ] No
If yes plea
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
Related ContentAll Tags
Content relating to: "Technology"
Technology can be described as the use of scientific and advanced knowledge to meet the requirements of humans. Technology is continuously developing, and is used in almost all aspects of life.
Healthy Eating Companion App
INTRODUCTION Healthy eating is the most important factor in maintaining health. It is considered as most important means of promoting health. Healthy eating is an overall sense of well being and al...
Proposed Emerging Technology for Skycity
1 Organization Introduction Industry Skycity Entertainment Group Limited, also known as Skycity or Skycity Group, is counted as New Zealand’s largest entertainment company listed on New Zealand’s...
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this dissertation and no longer wish to have your work published on the UKDiss.com website then please: